Step 1 – Cutting the fabric
- There are two ways to cut the fabric. You can use a ruler and cut the pieces to 18 inches tall and 21 inches wide. There should be two pieces for the inside and two for the outside. Or you can use the acrylic templates in the Ace Textiles Studio.
Step 2 – Sew the panels together
- Good side together, sew the outside panels along the sides and bottom. Use a .5” seam allowance.
- Then do the same with the liner. But leave a 4” open area across the bottom.
Step 3 – Cut and sew the corners
- Use the acrylic template to cut a 3” square out of each bottom sewn corner.
- Then do the same with the liner.
- Press out the seams flat to make them easier to match up.
- Match up the seams, and sew across the open edge with a .5” seam allowance.
Step 4 – Place the Straps
- Measure and cut the straps to the desired length with 2 extra inches to secure them.
- Next place them on the liner, on the bad side upside down. So there is at least 1.5” overlapping the edge.
- Sew in place with a .25-inch seam allowance
Step 5 – Sew the liner to the outer side
- Place the liner inside the outer later good sides together.
- Sew around the open edge of the top.
- Reach through the open bit of the liner and turn the tote right side out.
- Pull the liner out and sew the opening closed
Step 6 – Top stitch and secure the straps
- Top stitch the upper edge of the opening of the tote with a .25 or .125 inch seam allowance.
- Stitch down the straps with a “Box X” stitch pattern.