Join the Ace Makerspace Team!
Operations and Member Services Associate
Reports to: Executive Director
Part-Time: 24 hours per/week
Compensation: $20-$25 per/hour DOE
Benefits: Ace Makerspace Membership
Start Date: Early October
Help wrangle the on-site logistics and provide excellent customer/member service for a non-profit makerspace! Your core responsibilities are giving tours to prospective members, assisting new members in finding their way, and being a representative of Ace Makerspace. Our ideal candidate is passionate about making, engaged in social justice, and finds community building invigorating and fun. Daily work includes giving tours, receiving packages, stocking supplies and delicious snacks, and helping to manage correspondence. Our makerspace is a non-profit with 150+ creative makers, interesting tools, and shared workspaces.
Guest and Member Services
- Give tours (Covid Safe) to prospective new members
- Help new members become oriented
- Assist new members with finding tools and engaging with space care
- Stock supplies, inventory, and organize
- Straighten and clean use areas at the end of the day; bending and reaching to pick up exhibit items; replace printer toner and/or drum; etc.)
- Sort postal mail, including packages
- Receive and process deliveries
- Other duties as needed
- Minimum 1-years of experience in membership or customer relations, preferably in a museum, retail or attractions environment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong time management skills
- Experience with or strong interest in fabrication and traditional making skills, or art
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs and clearly navigate stairs
- Proficiency in MS Office, Google Docs
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn, WordPress and other data entry systems
- Bilingual or Multilingual encouraged
Compensation and Benefits
- Part-time, non-exempt, 24 hours per/week (additional hours may sometimes be available)
- Compensation $20-$25 per/hour DOE
- Health insurance benefits not included at this time due to the small size of the organization
- Perks include Ace Makerspace Membership and paid professional development
Schedule and Work Availability
- Every Wednesday from 11:00 AM to 8:30 PM
- Every Saturday from 9:00 AM to 5:30 PM
- Every Oakland First Friday (Shift runs from 12:30 PM to 9:00 PM and includes both event preparation and event attendance)
- Ad Hoc special events on some Fridays and Saturdays
- Some flexibility for other shifts outside of the required ones listed above
Over the course of your first month at Ace we provide immersive, hands-on training designed to get you up to speed with direct experience in each of our program areas (the training/onboarding schedule may differ from your regular schedule). First we have you attend a New Member Workshop to learn about our community agreements, culture, systems, and policies. Then we will have you attend one event or team meeting per program area (let us know what you are interested in and we will try to accommodate your preferences if availability and scheduling allow).
Please email your resume with a cover letter detailing what makes you a great candidate for this job to [email protected]
A resume, references, and cover letter are required to be considered for this position. Please no phone calls. Email any questions.
Director on the Ace Makerspace Board
Role description in flight! Come back soon!
Important Information about employment at Ace Makerspace
Ace Makerspace brings people together to create, learn, and solve life’s challenges. We believe that when all people have equitable access to the resources provided by makerspaces that the outcomes are better for everyone.
Communities that are supported in this way are self-reliant in the face of increased economic, social, and environmental pressures. We are committed to disrupting the systems that have long siloed the resources of makerspaces to people of privilege by serving the greater Oakland area and beyond. Ace Makerspace is committed to advancing social, gender, and racial justice. We value having a team that brings a wide range of perspectives and identities including ethnicity, race, gender, socio-economic background, language, political and religious beliefs, sexual orientation, and abilities. We believe that the lived experiences of our employees and their unique ideas inspire innovative solutions. As such, we especially seek applications from people who identify as Black, Indigenous, People of Color, transgender, gender-nonconforming, LGBQ+, and people living with disabilities. If you meet a majority of the job qualifications listed above, please consider applying.
Ace Makerspace is proud to be an EEO/AA employer. We recognize the value of having a staff that brings a wide range of perspectives to this work and we are committed to maintaining a diverse, multicultural working environment and particularly support applications from individuals with lived experience in the communities we seek to serve.
Ace Makerspace is committed to a policy that provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, and sexual orientation. To this end, Ace Makerspace will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment with any of the above characteristics and will take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are offered employment and employees are treated during employment without regard to these characteristics.
For further information regarding Equal Employment Opportunity, copy and paste the following URL into your web browser:http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
Ace Makerspace is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Recruitment Team at least 48 hours in advance at [email protected].
Covid 19 Policy:
Ace Makerspace has a Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, and it is a condition of employment for all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless they are granted a reasonable accommodation under applicable law. Employees will need to provide proof of full vaccination prior to their start date or apply for an exemption/accommodation. New hires who do not comply with this Policy, or who cannot be reasonably accommodated, will either have their employment suspended or terminated. Candidates who are non-compliant will have their offers rescinded.