Affordable Access Systems
An interactive badge project at NOMCON 2019
F.A.T.T. (Fob-All-The-Things) is open source hardware/software access systems project for makerspaces.
We are looking to create something that is:
- Open Source (CC BY-SA)
- Scalable (more than just doors)
- Platform agnostic
- Accessibly coded (common supported languages/libraries)
- Affordable Hardware ($80 – $125 per unit or less)
Current commercial options are not affordable for most and have scalability issues as makerspace needs are diverse and constantly evolving. Many spaces have created customized access systems solutions yet few of them are repeatable or scalable. Many folks have taken on this project yet we all seem to bottle-neck at the same point. The FATT Project aims to get past that bottleneck by engaging outside the AMT community.
Join the project
The F.A.T.T. project is seeking contributors specifically for software and hardware development.
To Join the working group join the Ace Monster Toys Slack and join the #fob-all-the-things channel.
Working meetings most Wednesdays at 7pm PST, though cadence and times for regular work meetings may change as the group of contributors evolves. See Slack for details.
What to expect
- Fun interactive access point devices will be placed throughout the conference.
- Each participant will be given a unique RFID page to use when interacting with the installations
- The data can then be explored via a FATT@Nomcon website
- On Sunday we will wrap up with a lively discussion about the future of affordable access points in spaces.